2003 Partner, Vivid Regeneration
1999-2003 Director, Bristol East Side Traders
1997-1999 Regeneration Consultant
1994-1997 Community Liaison Officer, Bristol City Council
1993-1994 Social Worker, Avon County Council
1985-1991 Community Development/Adult Education Officer, Oxfordshire County Council
1981-1983 Manager, National Association for the Care and Resettlement of Offenders
1978-1980 Manager, London Union of Youth Clubs
1976-1978 Teacher, Bronte Community School, Liverpool
2004-2008 Board member, Bristol Partnership
2003-2005 Board member, Voscur
2001-2003 Governor, City of Bristol College
1998-2000 Board member, Bristol Regeneration Partnership
1991-1993 Diploma in Social Work / MA in Social Work, Bristol University
1980-1981 Master of Education, Harvard University
1975-1976 Post-Graduate Certificate in Education, City of Liverpool College of Education
1972-1975 BA Honours, Politics and Philosophy, University of York.
Skills, Experience and Knowledge
- Experience of operational and strategic management of successful social enterprises and voluntary organisations, including financial management.
- Experience of working as a member of cross sector strategic partnerships and as a Trustee/Director of voluntary and public sector bodies
- Skills in winning new contracts, and in developing business plans and funding bids, for a wide range of community based organisations and social businesses.
- Excellent leadership and people management skills, including delivering training, mentoring and supervision.
- Experience and expertise in community development, engaging and working with residents, neighbourhood groups, communities and small businesses.
- Experience in designing and implementing research projects, and in undertaking consultation, feasibility studies and evaluation of organisations and programmes.
- A sound, up-to-date knowledge of the current policy and best practice issues within regeneration, including social exclusion, race equality and community cohesion
- Extensive networks within the public, private and voluntary sector in Bristol and the West of England area, and a Common Purpose graduate in 1999.